According to congress.gov, starting in 2020, Medicare Supplement plans that pay the Medicare Part B deductible will no longer be sold to those newly eligible. This change is part of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 (MACRA).
What are Medicare Supplement Plans (Medigap)?
Medicare Supplement plans also referred to as Medigap plans, help pay for your share of Medicare expenses, such as your deductibles and co-insurance. Medicare supplement insurance plans are available for purchase in all 50 states and are very popular with people who want little to no copays when they access healthcare services.
Many people new to Medicare feel surprised to find that Medicare covers only 80% of your Part B expenses. other 20% can be devastating to you financially if a serious illness arises. Medicare Supplements pay that 20%for you, among other things. Supplemental insurance for seniors with Medicare essentially buys you peace of mind by eliminating that cost-sharing responsibility. Medicare Supplement insurance is the most predictable back-end coverage that you can buy. You will know exactly what’s covered for every inpatient or outpatient procedure based on which Medigap p you choose.
Some of the primary advantages of a traditional Medicare supplement policy are:
- Freedom to choose your own doctors and hospitals
- No referrals required to see a specialist
- Predictable out-of-pocket expenses for Medicare-covered services (and zero out-of-pocket with Plan F)
- Nationwide coverage – you can use it anywhere in the United States
- Guaranteed renewability – the insurance company can never drop you or change your coverage due to a health condition
- No claims paperwork – Medicare supplement companies have crossover filing with Medicare. When you provider files a claim with Medicare, that claim is automatically filed with your supplement company too
Some other things to know about Medicare Supplement insurance:
- You must have Part A and Part B to buy a Medigap policy.
- Medicare supplement plans cover only one person. Your spouse must have his or her own individual policy.
- You can drop your supplement at any time. There is no annual election period for Medicare Supplement plans.
- The annual election period in the fall is for drug plans. It does not apply to Medicare supplements in any way.
- Many carriers offer household discounts if two or more people enroll in Medicare supplemental plans from the same company
- Plans do not include Part D, so you’ll add a separate standalone Part D drug plan.
- Does not cover routine, dental, vision or hearing
What are the different Medicare Supplements Plans?
Each Medicare supplement plan has a letter, A – N. Each plan letter provides a different set of benefits. However, each lettered plan must have the same standardized coverage regardless of which insurance company you choose. For example, Medicare supplement Plan N at Blue Cross Blue Shield has the same benefits as Plan N from United Healthcare.
There is one supplemental insurance plan that covers ALL OF the gaps, leaving you with nothing out of pocket like Plan F. There are others where you agree to do some cost-sharing and in return you get a lower monthly premium. If you prefer something like this, in the middle, you could look at Plans G or N where you pay a few things yourself, in exchange for lower premiums.
As an insurance agent who specializes in Medicare supplemental insurance for seniors I can help you determine which one best suits you.
Using me as your agent of record costs exactly the same as buying direct.
Remember we provide these FREE value-added services for you:
- What is Medicare : we explain your basic benefits first!
- Quotes for over 30 companies
- Free rate-trend history report so you can see which company has had the lowest rate increases
- Free financial ratings for each company
- Annual rate shopping assistance to keep you paying the least amount possible
- Free claims support and help with appeals if Medicare denies a claim
- Full-time Client Service Team to answer your Medicare questions
- Annual Part D renewal assistance
Contact Rusty von Sternberg for quotes/help today at (281) 444-5412